Monday, January 27th, 2014 at 9:14 pm
Hello. Cold out there it seems. Mr Gore apparently not in touch (this weather may be cold but it only “extreme” if you are susceptible to confirmation bias … in which case you think the climate is radically changing because of normal weather patterns like el Nino (Nina?) moving the jetstream). Links?
- Place and income mobility. At a glance, you’re best of in the Mid-west and West.
- Chaos and electric demand.
- Another question for the pseudo-intellectual Gore.
- Repealing the 14th in practice.
- Twitter as precis practice.
- Finding love.
- Or finding something akin to love in the wrong places.
- Energy balance and the sloth.
- Always beware of the “I can’t imagine” argument, it’s a not-well-known rhetorical/logical fallacy.
- Mr Huckabee was he recently abused for making sense?
- Return query, replace “all women” with “All men” or “all fans of Charles Dickens” “all prefer pink to purple” (to which you’d should object). If the criteria isn’t germane to the topic using it is a criteria is bigotry or race/sex/whatever-criteria -ism.
- Language does not commute (order matters).
- Uranium enrichment numbers.
Thursday, January 23rd, 2014 at 9:57 am
So, -8 F here this morning. Seems like the weather is returning to that pattern of a few years ago, of about a week of bitter cold with occasional warming spells during which snow is dumped on us. #2 daughter opted to be dropped off at school instead of walking.
- This person seems to have more difficulty with their child’s choice than might be expected.
- I’d have to support the Att. Gen. decision if honest (even though I disagree with his conclusion), you have two choices when electing an official, that you want him to guess and vote/act according to his perception his constituents, or the constituents should expect evaluate him and expect him to vote/act according to his conscience. Back in the day, Mr Kerry claimed he did the former. I think the former is not right.
- More Benghazi lies. First “it was the video” canard, now it was the Ambassador’s fault. Geesh.
- We’ll be seeing lots of posts of this sort on this anniversary. Liberals often like to base civic ethics on Rawls and “they are to be of the greatest benefit to the least-advantaged members of society” … somehow they pretend that the fetus is more advantaged, has a louder/stronger voice in society, and more empowered than the mother. That illogical twist fuels much wickedness.
- One more, “abortion allows women … to fulfill their dreams”. Say what? Little girls dream of many things, few dream of killing their child. I mean, I’ve joked with my daughter’s about embarking on the career path of “evil genius” and that they should practice their “evil laugh” but they just roll their eyes at me when I do that.
- Revenge ala Christie claimed. I wouldn’t put it past the Admin.
- So, in those states with legal marijuana … apparently the illegal street price is lower than the legal price. So, what besides taxes might cause that? Perhaps the FDA has a hand in raising those prices too.
- Hacking and gas.
- Another Obamacare suit which may have legs.
- More on the min wage.
- Obama’s NSA speech (which apparently was roundly panned) graded here.
Wednesday, January 22nd, 2014 at 9:52 am
Well, back at home. Links?
- A use for that valve cap.
- Yer gubmit, looking out for … well, no good reason I guess.
- No no no, don’t slander the teacher, if anything slander the administrators.
- Speaking of teachers ….
- Gender and quotes, not unexpected results.
- Consequences for not towing the party line.
- Prayer of very different sorts, here and here.
- Of cold and calorie.
- The IRS and implications.
- Of hard drives and failure.
Thursday, January 2nd, 2014 at 11:58 am
Well, after a good almost full day of skiing … my injured knee stiffened. Kids are having a blast which is the important thing.
- Obamacare wins an award.
- And it losing (apparently) the hard left.
- Bio oil from a different source.
- Examining the lack-of-logic behind the thoughts of those desiring to ban guns.
- A case for which shooting drones (as suggested by that Colorado town) makes perfect sense.
- Seems to me, when you discuss other’s sins … you should remember 1 Timothy 1:15.
- He’s not saying that … he’s saying higher taxes lead to greater economic growth. That’s not right, but that’s what he thinks.
- China, children, and economics.
- Climate models.
- Star Trek mocked.
Wednesday, January 1st, 2014 at 11:54 am
Have fun with those resolutions. (Which are so often summed up via Spike Lee’s enjoiner “Do the Right Thing”).
- Well, in January, it seems I’ll be following the rich and famous (that is to say having a my colon scoped). My results will not likely reported by ABC News.
- Without cause. Oh, goody.
- Good news presented as bad.
- On the hand, perhaps “if true” needs to be appended to the above.
- Father Time is a T. Rex.
- Who is surprised?
- What a perfect landing looks like.
- I’d share some of the other links, but my guess none of my readers would be interested in things like this.
Posting in general seems to have slowed. Have a good New Years day!
Monday, December 23rd, 2013 at 8:34 pm
Well, we made it to the East coast, i.e., Jersey. Today we were doing a college tour for my youngest.
- I don’t get cable, but apparently there is a “reality” show about Ducks … (two remarks on that here and here). Seems to me the situation is basically as follows, the left purports to want to enter into “conversations about race/gender/marriage”, but they really don’t. If you really want to “have a conversation” when the other side speaks their mind, you reply, you engage in conversation, you …, uhm, talk. But no. What the left does is try to shut you down and fire you. That’s not engaging in conversation, that’s naked coercion. Persuasion by force and coercion (a) doesn’t work and (b) is highly unethical. So in the absence of people like Mr Schraub and the left leading (or at least entering) the hew and cry to reverse the suspension, those on the left are left with that unfortunate choice of asking themselves, “am I stupid or evil.” (the assumption here being that attempts at persuasion by coercion is evil). The first link makes an interesting point, you can’t refuse to sell a cake based on your beliefs, but you can be fired saying what you believe, hmm.
- Faith and commerce.
- A really bad whoops moment noted.
- Theotokos and Nativity.
- Situation and being awake.
- Obesity. I’ve seem some remarks about obesity and whether or not it should be treated as a disease and why we so often blame the obese for their condition. I think the salient insight on why we tend to blame the obese for their condition in the US is that those of us who are not oveweight realize how easy it would be to eat to much and not exercise. The non-obese have to work at it to stay thin, their feeling is that those who are not thin just didn’t do their due diligence and got where they were.
- What the administration is setting aside.
- A book noted.
- Of war and human nature.
Thursday, December 19th, 2013 at 10:41 pm
Tomorrow, train ride to East coast begins. In ze meantime … links?
- Trickery of the shoe varietal.
- From the same source, of memory, loss, and recovery.
- We can thank the White House for this Christmas gift.
- If true, amazingly stupid.
- Selfie … pretty close to selfish.
- On those manmade gasses and their effects.
- Fundamentalist Islam and the UK.
- Well, at least they can claim a better rollout than the US, that it didn’t cost $1 billion, and took less than 6 years to develop.
Wednesday, December 18th, 2013 at 9:34 pm
So, recently in my attempt to back in shape, I’m trying swimming, which is new to me. I’m really (repeat) really slow (to put it pointedly, there are pool meet records posted on the wall, I can’t beat the times posted by “under 8 y/o girls” yet) … and I can’t swim very far before being winded. But I’m improving. I think I need to grow lats before the slow thing can be really solved.
- Not liking the Obamacare thing, the uninsured.
- Yes, but to be honest, you have to give the Admin a bit of a break there. Those other Presidents didn’t have their projects done by no-bid contracts with their buddies company.
- The President’s commission reviewed the NSA procedures and made recommendations .. and he spoke as well. Remarks on that here, here and here.
- Ohio moves against homeschooling.
- Of course you can talk about it (see liberals think if you can’t talk about it, then it is evidence of bigotry).
- In which “a great idea” means take a bad thing and make it even worse.
- Make sure you are not drinking anything near a keyboard when reading this headline.
- Apparently athletic ability no longer a criteria in politically correct land. After all, we wouldn’t want to judge people on ability or character …. just the color of their skin or the group to which they adhere.
- But I guess once you truly embrace the stupid you can’t stop.