Things Heard: e237v3n4
Wednesday, September 12th, 2012 at 10:13 pm by Mark O.
OK, been busy. Links?
- What does it mean to be American. The conceit that this is unique is, well, probably not unique. Recall the book I mentioned a few weeks ago … Mr Snyder’s Reconstruction of Nations? This has relevance, recall one of the puzzles is how Poland and Lithuania arrived at their national identity … recall a founding “poem which all Polish students learn in school” has in its opening stanza “Lithuania my fatherland” and … when Lithuania became a nation few people spoke Lithuanian … in the cities they spoke Polish, Yiddish, Russian and Belorussian was spoken in the country and they had similar religious divisions. Nations based on an idea is not unique as we pretend. Our notions of its uniqueness relies on our ignorance of history.
- Credentials and skillz.
- The reality based side of the aisle strikes again.
- Moving right.
- On responses to killings. I’d note that in a prior admin, Mr Bush was always slow to respond … and the later responses by the adminstration might be better. But the poster is right, we don’t as a nation “deplore any intentional effort to denigrate the religious beliefs of others” in point of fact we defend the freedom of speech … with sharp pointy sticks.
- Oooh, one for the Palin fans.
- For the Darwinist ethics conversation. A social Darwinist it seemed to me might run with this.
- Woo hoo.
- Grist for the abortion debate.
- Of logic and boxes.
- Female protagonists and Disney.
- Ivy league.
- News that will be buried by the left wing press.
- Which Jack?
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!